Toxic mold can infiltrate residential properties in many different ways, especially in Florida’s climate. Mold spores commonly accumulate in places with higher amounts of moisture, such as bathrooms, kitchens, or cellars. It can easily take root in paper products, wood, insulation, drywall, carpets, and upholstery.
Other spots such as windows, leaky pipes, or any place with recent water damage tend to be hotspots for toxic mold growth in Florida. If you find a leaky pipe or some other form of water damage, it should be addressed ASAP. If you live in a flood zone, there are precautions you can take to protect your home and family from toxic mold.
Step 1) Talk To Your Landlord/Property Manager
Take some time to assess your residence and bring up any concerns you have with your landlord. If legal action is required, toxic mold lawyers will need to assess if the landlord and/or resident was aware of the issue before any harm was caused.
Step 2) Cleaning Tips for Your Home
When cleaning your home, apartment or condo, you can take preventative steps to reduce the risk of mold. If any mold is present, we recommend that you wear an N-95 mask for respiration, gloves, and clothing that adequately covers your arms and legs.
Step 3) Invest in a Good Dehumidifier
Living in Florida, you’re no stranger to humidity. This is one of the key reasons why toxic mold cases are more common in this state. We recommend that you invest in a good dehumidifier in order to prevent mold from taking root in your home. Please keep in mind that this machine doesn’t kill mold, but the action it performs (removing excess moisture from the environment) is a great prevention method.
How Is Toxic Mold Removed?
First off, we do recommend bringing in professionals to address toxic mold. They’ll come in with the appropriate protective gear and will know how to completely remove the mold from the site.
Our personal injury lawyers have seen cases where inexperienced property owners got themselves into dangerous situations after mixing bleach with ammonia (or a variety of other cleaning substances). These chemicals react in a way that can be dangerously toxic in their own right. It is not recommended that an amateur try to remove mold with bleach.